Author: Bryan Bowers
Recipe type: Soups
You can substitute hot pork sausage and add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to add some heat to the dish.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb. (450g) andouille sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 14 oz (400g) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cups chopped frozen okra, thawed
- ½ lb (225g) cooked shrimp, deveined, peeled, tail removed
- Cooked white rice
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat, add chicken, sausage, cook until browned, and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, peppers, and cook 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes until onions are tender, set aside.
- Add butter and when melted add flour. Whisk continuously until roux turns brown, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, vegetables, meat, okra, tomatoes to pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Ladle over rice in bowl and serve with hot sauce.
Like This Recipe? Get Our Cookbooks In Less Than 30 Seconds!